Wednesday, May 2, 2007


Religion first for Jewish forward

Former Rempart won't practise, play on Sabbath

May 01, 2007 04:30 AM Kevin McGran SPORTS REPORTER


Benjamin Rubin, an 18-year-old winger with Patrick Roy's Quebec Remparts, won't be back next season with the Quebec Major Junior hockey club because his religion comes first.
Rubin, an observant Orthodox Jew, refuses to play hockey or practise with the team on the Sabbath, between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday.
Roy gave Rubin a chance this season to maintain his religious observances and Rubin missed 35 games.
After the Remparts season ended, Roy told the 6-foot-1, 186-pounder he would be invited back next season and have a spot on the second line, only if he could play every day.
"They just told me that's the deal," said Rubin. "That's why I'm not going to be playing, because I missed too many games.
"He (Roy) told me I had third- or second-line (talent), but I missed too many games to fill the spot. He can't have that next year."
Rubin wrestled with his decision, but ultimately chose religion. So Roy told the forward his roster spot would go to another player.
"It was really hard, because it's my future in hockey," said Rubin. "I still think I can make it far with keeping my religion. I think there's a chance for the NHL, but I'm not sure."
Rubin said he expects Roy to trade him to a team with few Friday night games. Roy did not return phone calls.
Rubin does not believe he's a victim of religious persecution. Instead, he fully accepted Roy's predicament and thanked the former NHL goalie for giving him a chance to play major junior this year, even while he observed the Sabbath.
"He accepted that before ... training camp," Rubin said of Roy. "He knew my story before I tried out. He told me I made the team on talent, not because of anything else."
While a few Jews have made the NHL, it's not believed an Orthodox Jew ever has. Some professional athletes who are Jewish – like former Blue Jay Shawn Green and Dodgers pitcher Sandy Koufax – have refused to play during the high holiday of Yom Kippur.
Rubin said he found it a challenge to remain as observant as his religion demands while being away from home and with his teammates. Rather than eat the team meal, he had to bring his own kosher food. During the Sabbath, he didn't drive or even use electricity.
And interviewed by his hometown Montreal Canadiens, he told them he would not give up his convictions even to play for the team he grew up admiring. He said even if it was the Stanley Cup final and the Canadiens were playing on a Saturday while the sun was up, he wouldn't dress.
"The Canadiens interviewed me," said Rubin. "They said if I was able to play on Friday nights, they would draft me for sure. Now it's going to be a little hard, but they're still going to try to draft me.
"They think I have the talent to take it to the next level. That's what Patrick Roy told me, too."
It's clear if Rubin is going to make it in the NHL, he's going to make it on his own terms and as a long shot.
Rubin had three goals, one assist and 19 penalty minutes in 29 games with the Remparts this season. He is not among the 210 players listed as top prospects by the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau.
He is, nonetheless, a prospect worth keeping an eye on, said E.J. McGuire, the director of the NHL's Central Scouting.
"He's an interesting player, good enough to play major junior, which sets him apart from a lot of other kids. He'll have some options," said McGuire. "The only way he's going to continue to improve is to get more ice time, get more games in."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow.
it's great that he has faith like that, to stick to it, even in the face of a dream.